I’ve been teaching workshops, speaking and writing on farming since 2008. If you’d like to have me talk at your event or to give a workshop please get in touch here. I try to keep an updated list of workshops and speaking engagements here:
(Updated February 16, 2022)
Upcoming workshops and talks:
- Compact Farming Strategies, and Why Build Your Own Farm Tools, at the Farm to Fork Summit, Osceola, MO, Tuesday, February 22, 2022. A workshop on the elements of compact farms and a lunchtime keynote on the benefits of building your own farm tools and systems.
- Farm Tools and Ergonomics, hosted by Cultivate KC, Kansas City, Missouri , February 23, 2022. An afternoon workshop and discussion on how to adapt farm tools and systems to maximize efficiency and ergonomics.
- Farm Tools and Ergonomics, online for Louisiana Central Farmer Training Program, March 3, 2022.
Past workshops and talks:
2022 Workshops and Talks
- Ergonomics and Tool Selection, Including Economic Considerations, hosted by the Oahu Resource Conservation and Development Council and GoFarm, Waimanalo, Hawaii, Sunday, February 6, 2022 – Afternoon talk on the basics of ergonomics and tool design, with a tour of Ahiki Acres to show hands on examples.
2021 Workshops and Talks
- Customizing Farm Tools and Systems for Efficiency and Ergonomics, online for Louisiana Central’s Farmer Training Program, Wednesday, May 26, 2021 – Examples of how to make tools and systems better in both small, simple ways on the farm.
- Farm Tools and Ergonomics, online for Organic Growers School, March 2021 – Examples of ergonomics basics for setting up work spaces and using tools around the farm.
- Record Keeping and Crop Planning, online for Future Harvest Conference, Friday, January 15, 2021 – Overview of my integrated record keeping and crop planning system.
- Weed Control: The Right Tool for the Right Job, online for Future Harvest Conference, Friday, January 15, 2021 – Highlighting the tools that I use on a hand scale for cultivation. Co-presented with Hana Newcomb of Potomac Vegetable Farms who will talk about tractor scale cultivation.
2020 Workshops and Talks
- Panel on Packing Sheds, online for Oregon Small Farms Program, November 18, 2020 – Co-presented with Zoë Bradbury of Valley Flora Farm and Heidi Noordijk of OSU Small Farms.
- Vegetable Weed Management, online for Oregon Small Farm School, November 3, 2020 – Presentation on strategies for managing weeds that can be incorporated into tractor cultivation systems, or hand scale.
- Plan to Grow Radicchio, online, May 13, 2020 – Workshop for farmers interested in growing all sorts of chicories with information from my recent Italy trip.
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 22 – Workshop on evaluating investments in new farm tools co-presented with Tanya Murray from Oregon Tilth.
2019 Workshops and Talks
- Small Farm Tech Expo, Forestville, CA, December 8, 2019 – Workshop on customizing tools for efficiency
- Slow Food Cascadia Summit, Vancouver, WA, October 5, 2019 – Short talk on Slow Tools
- Mechanical Cultivation Field Day, Aurora, OR, August 29, 2019 – Panel discussion on weed control.
- Mechanical Cultivation Field Day, Puyallup, WA, August 27, 2019 – Panel discussion on weed control.
- Crop Planning Class, Gresham, OR, July 22, 2019 – Basics of crop planning, including rotations and cover crops. Presented for Rogue Farm Corps apprentices and farmers at Headwaters Incubator Farm.
- Field Tested Expo, Missoula, MT, Wednesday, May 22, 2019 – Talks on efficient use and selection of tools for small farms.
- Mechanical Cultivation Workshop, Bend, OR, Thursday, March 21, 2019 – Weed management and mechanical cultivation fundamentals for both hand scale and tractor based systems.
- Cultivating Small Farm Success, Alexandria, LA, Thursday, March 14, 2019 – Planning for a Successful Market Farm
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, Saturday, February 23, 2019 – I’ll be facilitating three workshops on compact farms with a number of experienced growers from around the country: Starting a Compact Farm, Cut Flowers on Compact Farms, and How Compact Farms Evolve.
- EcoFarm, Pacific Grove, CA, Friday, January 25, 2019 – Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 10 Acres or Less – revisiting farm profiles from the book and what makes them work.
2018 Workshops and Talks
- Crop and Business Planning for the Small Farmer, Noti, OR, December 1, 2018 – Organized by Erik Dietz and the South Willamette Valley chapter of the National Young Farmers Coalition
- National Biodynamic Conference, Portland, OR, November 16, 2018 – Co-presenting with Alice Groh and Anthony Graham on the “Original Aims and Ideals of the CSA model”
- Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA, October 26, 2018 – Talk on planning for success on compact farms.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 4-5, 2018 – Two workshops: one on planning, and one on selling produce.
- Small Farm School, Clackamas Community College, July 12, 2018 – Two workshop panels: one on ergonomics and tool selection, and another on plastic tarps and mulch for small farms.
- SnoValley Tilth, Carnation, WA, March 4, 2018 – Day long workshop on Efficiency and Ergonomics on the Farm: Setting up tools, systems, and work spaces for speed, safety and happiness
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 24, 2018 – Workshop on vegetable pack shed layout and ergonomics.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Belton, TX, February 17-18, 2018 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- Eco Farm Conference, Monterey, CA, January 26, 2018 – Workshop with Jack Algiere from The Stone Barns Center on Tools and Equipment for Market Gardeners and Farmers
- Introduction to Between-row Cultivaton with Tractors, Aurora, OR, January 12, 2018 – Invite only workshop for farmers transitioning from hand and hoe cultivation only to tractor cultivation.
2017 Workshops and Talks
- Tilth Conference, Vancouver, WA, November 11, 2017 – Workshop on Planing a Compact Farm
- Beginning Farmer Workshop hosted by Purdue Diversified Farming and Food Systems, Bloomington, IN, November 5, 2017 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- Small Farm School, Oregon City, OR, September 21, 2017 – A two part workshop on Weed Management in Organic Vegetables and Tools and Strategies for Controlling Weeds co-taught with Chris Konieczka from Clackamas Community College
- NOFA Summer Conference, Amherst, MA, August 12, 2017 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- The Book Store, Lenox, MA, August 11, 2017 – Compact Farms book reading and signing
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 5-6, 2017 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- Slow Food Nations, Denver, CO, July 2017 – Compact Farms tour followed by a book reading and signing at The Tattered Cover
- Rogue Farm Corps, Jacksonville, OR, June 5, 2017 – Half day farm planning workshop at my good friend’s beautiful little winery, Wild Wines, in the Applegate Valley. Find details here.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Asheville, NC, May 6-7, 2017 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, March 30, 2017 – I’ve been invited by the Environmental Science and Sustainability Studies program to speak on sustainable agriculture. This event is open to the public.
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 18, 2017 – Organic Weed Management Strategies and Techniques
In addition to the workshops and talks listed above I am working on finding venues to host more workshops for market farmers and gardeners. If you’d like to have me do a workshop in your area please contact me for more details on topics and costs.
A list of past talks and workshops from 2016 going all the way back to 2009 is here.
Most of these workshops and talks have come about through generous invitations and queries from other farmers. If you’re interested in hosting a workshop or having me talk at your event please get in touch through the link in the footer and we can talk about topics and fees.
To find more of my writing check out my occasional blog at joshvolk.com/blog and I also recommend Growing For Market, where I have many archived articles and occasionally I contribute new ones.
My book, Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less from Storey Publishing is now available. You can order signed copies with the link below, or from Growing For Market’s online book store, as well as many others.